Cook2 hrs 25 mins
These sound delicious, this is posted by request via email for "Rachel", they sound so good I may try them myself soon. From "Latin American Cooking, A treasury of recipes from the South American countries, Mexico and the Caribbean" Susan Bensusan.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons shortening, melted to lukewarm
- 1⁄2 cup milk, mixed with
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 8 green olives, chopped
- oil (for deep frying)
- To prepare the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Add the melted shortening and warm milk and water.
- Mix to a smooth dough and cut into 2 pieces.
- To prepare the filling, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the tomatoes, ground beef and salt.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until almost dry.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the chopped parsley, egg, cheese and olives and mix well.
- To assemble pastries, roll out the pastry on a floured board to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut 12, 4 inch circles from each piece, 24 circles.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling on each circle and moisten around the edge with warm water.
- Fold over and seal the edges well.
- Deep fry in preheated 375f degree oil for 4 to 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper towel.
- The pastries are also delicious cold and make good picnic fare.
- They may also be made without the ground beef.
- Variation to replace ground beef, use finely chopped ham, chopped chicken, or shrimp.