Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Much easier to make than real tamales! Very tasty.
Make and share this Pan Tamales recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl, beat together margarine and masa with a hand mixer until well combined, adding water as needed.
- Add salt and sugar and enough water to make a thick batter (the consistancy should be somewhere between cookie dough and cake batter).
- Pour half of the batter into an ungreased 8"x8" square pan.
- Spread the meat over the first layer, then spread the rest of the batter on top.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Place the pan into another, larger pan.
- Pour hot water into the bottom pan so that the smaller pan is about 1/4"-1/2" submerged.
- Place pans into a 350 degree oven.
- Bake in water bath for 50 minutes, then allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice and serve with beans and rice, and sauce, if desired.
This recipe is the perfect template for tweaking. As it is, though, I found the ratio of masa to meat to be too high, and the masa was pretty bland. I added a touch of tomato paste to the meat mixture as well as fresh garlic and onions. I will definitely be making this again, though I think I will add some cilantro, black olives, diced jalapeno, and some cheese. This would be great served with sour cream, salsa, and a little guacamole.
Mmm! Simply delish! My bf had three helpings and couldn't stop making yummy noises. Very simple, very quick. I used ground pork and I minced a jalapeno in it for a little bite. It was scrumptious, thank you for the recipe! I will be making this again and again!
So easy and a great way to use leftovers (pulled pork). Thanks for posting. I will be using this one again.