Mt House mama's Note:
Got this recipe from Vegetarian Times. it says sopes are small round tartlette-like cakes made with masa harina the flour used to prepare tortillas. Instead of frying the sopes on a griddle, we've baked them for entertaining ease. Topped with zucchini-corn Filling or Pico de Gallo, they make beautiful appetizers or you can serve a trio of stuffed sopes as an entree. Zucchini corn filling is a ultraversatile filling works just as well in tacos, enchiladas and quesadillas as it does as a filling for sopes. The filling seemed to need the chili powder and I added some bell pepper. very simple flavor, and would be easy to spice up.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups masa harina
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup corn kernel
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- chili powder, for sprinking
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco (optional) or 1/2 cup feta cheese (optional)
- 21. preheat oven 350 line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 32. whisk together masa harina parmesan cheese if using, baking powder and salt in bowl. stir in 2 1/2 cups hot water until mixture forms soft dough. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir egg, then oil into dough.
- 43. Roll 1/4 cup dough into ball. Press into 3 inch disk on prepared baking sheet pinching together any cracked edges. Press indentation in center of disk using a small drinking class then shape 1/2 inch edge around indentation with your fingers. repeat with remaining dough.
- 54. Bake 10 minutes or until sopes begin to look dry. Sprinkle each indentation with 2 tsp grated monterey Jack cheese. return to oven and bake 5 minutes more, or until cheese has melted. Top with Zucchini-corn filling or Pico de Gallo.
- 6Zucchini-corn Filling.
- 7Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 7 minutes.
- 8Add zucchini and corn and saute 7 minutes more.
- 9Stir in beans and cook 2 minutes.
- 10Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- 11Spoon into Sopes or tacos and sprinkle with chili powder and cheese if using.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Baked Sopes W/ Zucchini-Corn Filling
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.8
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 35.8 mg
- Sodium 451.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 10.6 g