1/1 Photo of Oaxacan Black Bean Soup
3 hrs 30 mins
this recipe is from rick bayless mexican kitchen cookbook. it's a bit different as it uses no additional spices and contains shrimp. it tastes even better the second day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces black beans, picked over
- 6 cups water
- 1 stalk fennel, chopped
- 4 -6 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed,chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- salt, to taste
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup oil, to garnish (optional)
- 4 -6 corn tortillas, cut in strips,to garnish (optional)
- 1place beans in a 4 qt pot, cover with 6 c water, bring to a boil.
- 2remove from heat and let it sit 1 hour, drain.
- 3add beans back to the pot with 6 c water, bring to a boil, lower to simmer.
- 4add chorizo, fennel, onions, chipoltes, partially cover the pot and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours.
- 5use an immersion blender to puree the soup, or do it in batches in a blender.
- 6add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes until done.
- 7heat oil in a skillet.
- 8add tortillas in batches, fry until crisp.
- 9drain on paper towels.
- 10serve the soup topped with tortilla strips and sprinkled with queso fresco.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oaxacan Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.4
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 102.4 mg
- Sodium 357.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo