Marla in California's Note:
My husband grew up in New Mexico where they have the real, fresh from the farm, green chilies. I learned originally how to make these from my mother-in-law and then just added my own touches to it. My DH is very critical especially when it comes to Mexican food, really likes these. You can adjust the "heat" by adding more or less green chilies, and chili powder.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 (7 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot, your preference)
- 1 cup sour cream
- shredded cheese (whatever kind you like-I use the package of Kraft shredded medium cheddar cheese)
- corn tortilla (allow 3-5 per person)
- vegetable oil
- 1Saute the onions, garlic and green chilies in butter until the onions are translucent.
- 2Add the soup, milk, salsa and spices.
- 3Simmer over very low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 4While the sauce is simmering, fry the tortillas in hot oil until soft.
- 5(If the oil is hot enough, the tortillas only take a few seconds to get soft enough).
- 6Place tortillas on paper towels to get rid of excess oil.
- 7You can also soften the tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds wrapped in a dishtowel.
- 8Add the sour cream to the enchilada sauce and stir well.
- 9These enchiladas are served flat, stacked like pancakes on individual plates.
- 10Place a tortilla on plate, cover with sauce and cheese. These are not rolled enchiladas but are flat like a stack of pancakes.
- 11Repeat layers with as many tortillas as each person wants.
- 12I like 3; my husband always has 5.
- 13Pop the plate in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese.
- 14You can also place cooked diced chicken in the layers.
- 15This can also be prepared casserole style in a 9X13 dish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Mexico Style Green Chili-Sour Cream Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.9
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 59.3 mg
- Sodium 1669.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 11.6 g