I like flavor and hate packages. This is a made from scratch taco mix with some other ingredients thrown in to add a lot more flavor. I personally love cast iron, so if you got one, this is a good recipe for it. I started with a generic taco seasoning recipe I acquired at some point and added my own little spin. The seasoning mix (chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper) will make about 1/2 cup of the mix. You will only need 7 teaspoons of this for the recipe, but there was no easy way of splitting the mix down and not getting the ratios screwed up. Store the remaining mix in an air tight container in a dark, cool place.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 teaspoons chili powder
- 5 teaspoons paprika
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a small bowl and mix well and set aside. You will only need 7 teaspoons of this for the recipe.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until done but not crispy.
- Remove bacon from skillet, and chop. Don't drain unless your worried about your arteries :).
- Cook ground beef, onions, bell peppers, and garlic in skillet until beef is done.
- Add bacon, water, and 7 teaspoons of seasoning mix from instruction 1 and mix well.
- Simmer about 3-5 minutes until desired consistency.
- Serve hot on your favorite taco shells.
I am one of those people that would put bacon in brownies if it tasted good. But I've never once considered putting it in tacos?! This recipe is nothing short of genius! My family went crazy for them. We loved the spice mix & think it could even go a little hotter but it's definitely not needed. Also, since the directions don't mention the salt & pepper I forgot to add them until the end so I added both to taste. These were, by far, the most enjoyed tacos we've had in a long time. I am thrilled to have found this recipe & will be keeping the mix on hand & I've always got lots of bacon. :) Made & enjoyed for Spring 2009 Pick A Chef Orphanage.