1/2 Photos of Mom’s Mexican Rice
Everyone I know loves my mom's rice. It's full of flavor and can be sniffed a mile away. She always has to make a double batch for any get together because it goes FAST! I like to eat this with beans, or with lots of lemon. I sometimes also mix in some chicken and make it a single dish meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup white rice or 1 cup brown rice
- 1 -2 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces tomato sauce (the small can)
- 1/4-1/2 white onion (regular size- sliced or chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (or 1 cube)
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1Over medium heat, brown rice with oil, garlic and onion. Make sure not to burn the rice; it will be just a little toasted.
- 2Add the tomato sauce PLUS 2-3 cans of water (more water for the brown rice). Add the cumin and the chicken bullion but go easy on the bullion because it can be salty if you put too much. You may add the optional items depending your taste buds.
- 3Blend ingredients and bring mixture to boil for about 3 minutes then cover and set to a low simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Don’t lift the lid (unless you smell it burning).
- 4Let stand for another 15 minutes to make sure it gets soft and fluffy. (When serving, add fresh lemon juice but don’t add it while cooking -- it will alter the flavor and might make it too bitter.).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom’s Mexican Rice
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.6
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 264.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: