Everyone I know loves my mom's rice. It's full of flavor and can be sniffed a mile away. She always has to make a double batch for any get together because it goes FAST! I like to eat this with beans, or with lots of lemon. I sometimes also mix in some chicken and make it a single dish meal!
- 1 cup white rice or 1 cup brown rice
- 1 -2 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces tomato sauce (the small can)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 white onion (regular size- sliced or chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (or 1 cube)
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper
- Over medium heat, brown rice with oil, garlic and onion. Make sure not to burn the rice; it will be just a little toasted.
- Add the tomato sauce PLUS 2-3 cans of water (more water for the brown rice). Add the cumin and the chicken bullion but go easy on the bullion because it can be salty if you put too much. You may add the optional items depending your taste buds.
- Blend ingredients and bring mixture to boil for about 3 minutes then cover and set to a low simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Don’t lift the lid (unless you smell it burning).
- Let stand for another 15 minutes to make sure it gets soft and fluffy. (When serving, add fresh lemon juice but don’t add it while cooking -- it will alter the flavor and might make it too bitter.).
Very good and easy to prepare. I used green pepper and cilantro for our optional toppings. Thanks for sharing! ~PAC Spring '10~
Easy to make & strongly flavored with garlic & cumin. I added cilantro, celery, and bell pepper. The color was light pink & the rice fluffy. Made for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef.
This was delicious. This has a rich, wonderful flavor and a nice bright color. Easy and authentic tasting. I used several of the optional ingredients, namely the lemon pepper, peas and cilantro.