This recipe my sister and me came up with since we love casseroles and were eager to try something new. Instead of pasta or rice it uses Mexican taco crisps. It has a great texture (soft at the bottom and crisp at the top) and is so delicious.
- 125 g taco chips (make sure to use Mexican cornflour crisps, also called tortilla crisps)
- 400 ml hot tomato sauce (or any other tomato sauce you like)
- 1 (300 g) can sweet corn
- 1 (250 g) can red kidney beans (chili-flavoured ones go great with it)
- 160 g carrots
- 1 onion
- 40 g green chilies
- 150 g grated cheese
- Chop the onion into small cubes, slice the carrots and the green chillies into thin pieces. Mix with sweet corn and beans.
- Place one layer of crisps in a casserole dish, cover it with half the vegetables and add half of the sauce.
- Cover with another layer of crisps. Then add the rest of the veggies and the sauce.
- Cover with a last layer of crisps and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C for 30-40 minutes (the cheese should be golden-brown).