This recipe my sister and me came up with since we love casseroles and were eager to try something new. Instead of pasta or rice it uses Mexican taco crisps. It has a great texture (soft at the bottom and crisp at the top) and is so delicious.
- 125 g taco chips (make sure to use Mexican cornflour crisps, also called tortilla crisps)
- 400 ml hot tomato sauce (or any other tomato sauce you like)
- 1 (300 g) can sweet corn
- 1 (250 g) can red kidney beans (chili-flavoured ones go great with it)
- 160 g carrots
- 1 onion
- 40 g green chilies
- 150 g grated cheese
- Chop the onion into small cubes, slice the carrots and the green chillies into thin pieces. Mix with sweet corn and beans.
- Place one layer of crisps in a casserole dish, cover it with half the vegetables and add half of the sauce.
- Cover with another layer of crisps. Then add the rest of the veggies and the sauce.
- Cover with a last layer of crisps and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C for 30-40 minutes (the cheese should be golden-brown).
This was really good! I have to admit that I didn't really stick to the measurements given, but the combination of ingredients was wonderful. I used 1/4 of a large onion, 1 medium carrot (about 45g), 160g frozen corn, and a combination of green enchilada sauce and mild salsa, the cheese I didn't measure, but just covered generously with grated cheese. The other ingredients I did measure and added as per the recipe. I needed to cook this for 40 minutes to heat the middle through, and brown the cheese on top. The texture was wonderful- partially crisp and crunchy, partially soft and filling. I'm not a vegetarian, but I hardly noticed that there was no meat. Very satisfying, just as written. I did add a dollop of sour cream to serve. I'd say that this is 4 servings as written. Thanks for posting a great recipe!
This is very good and my family really enjoyed it. It was simple to put together during a busy weeknight. Thanks for sharing!
We really enjoyed this easy to prepare casserole; I particularly liked the addition of carrots. I made as directed and wouldn't change a thing. Thank you, Lalaloula! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap.