Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
We have 8 zucchini plants and I love to stuff them if they get too big, so I came up with this one night when I had leftover taco meat and way too much zucchini. My DH loved it!
- 2 large zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped green peppers (optional) or 1⁄4 cup mushroom (optional)
- Take zucchini and make boats out of them (slice the top off and scoop out the seeds and discard) Place in a casserole dish.
- Bring beef broth to a boil, add rice and cook as directed; set aside.
- Brown hamburger with onions (and peppers& mushrooms if you want); drain.
- Add taco seasoning with water as directed and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Mix ricotta cheese with Parmesan and 1/4 cup of mozzarella.
- Spoon cheese mixture in bottom of boats.
- Spoon rice and beef mixture into boats until filled.
- Put sliced tomatoes over the tops of the boats.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour, or until zucchini is soft when pricked with a fork.
- Sprinkle tops with remaining mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese melts.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Very good. We used beef broth instead of the water when adding the taco seasoning to the meat. Subbed cottage cheese for the ricotta cheese. I did 2 zukes but had leftover filling so i stuffed 2 green peppers and topped with sliced tomatoes also. Will make this again.
We really enjoyed this. A great way to use up leftover taco meat and zucchini. I didn't have those big garden zucchini so I used some that were smaller(what you'd buy at the grocery store) and it took about 4 of them for the filling ingredients. Great meal! Thanks for sharing.