An easy, tasty, spicy rice dish.
Make and share this Mexican Rice Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broth, rice, chili powder, jalapeno peppers, and cumin.
- Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir tomato and shredded cheese into hot cooked rice.
This rice is my new staple to go with anything I make that is Mexican! Really, Really good!!
My husband said it turned out really well. He was raised on real mexican food so that's a compliment. I didn't add the jalapeno pepper due to little ones and I was worried it would make it too spicy. The tomato and cheese I just left out. It was still really good. I'll definately make this again. It was so fast thanks to the instant brown rice which is all I have in my cupboard.
One of the tastiest Mexican rice recipes I have come across, we very much enjpyed it!! I had no jalapeno peppers in, but did have some jalapeno havarti cheese, so used extra green bell pepper, (had no red), with the jalapeno cheese. Turned out wonderful !! Thanks for posting!