1/3 Photos of Mexican Pork Stew
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 20 mins
I found this out of Ladies Home Journal and thought it looked good so decided to try it. I'm glad I did, it was delicious and a big hit at Super Bowl party. I followed the recipe pretty much exactly except I added 3 cans of chicken broth instead of 1. I like my stews on the thin side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs tomatillos, husks discarded, rinsed with warm water and quartered
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (9 ounce) box frozen corn
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (here I used 6 cups or 3 cans)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fine cornmeal
- 1Heat broiler.
- 2Arrange tomatillos on a large sheet pan and broil 6 inches from heat until lightly charred, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- 3Heat oil in a 5-6 qt heavy dutch oven with a tight fitting lid until hot but not smoking and brown pork in batches.
- 4Transfer pork to a bowl.
- 5Add to pot the onion, garlic, jalapeño, oregano and cumin and cook over moderate heat until onion is softened. A.
- 6dd tomatillos, broth, 1/2 cup water and browned pork to pot. Bring just to a boil and simmer, covered (do not boil)until pork is tender (about 45 minutes).
- 7Stir in beans, corn, cilantro and cornmeal and simmer, uncovered until slightly thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- 8Garnish with avocado, chopped white onion, sour cream, wedges of lime, and additional jalapeños.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Pork Stew
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.4
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 120.7 mg
- Sodium 281.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 36.7 g