Yummy combo between Italian and Mexican. This is from my friend Alissa. The pasta can be stuffed up to 12 hours in advance and put in the refrigerator.
- In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 cup cheese and refried beans.
- Stuff uncooked pasta tubes with cheese mixture, pressing firmly into shells.
- Meanwhile, in microwave safe dish, combine water, enchilada sauce and tomato sauce.
- Microwave on HIGH until mixture is steaming hot (about 5-6 minutes).
- Pour about 1/2 the sauce into a 9x13 pan.
- Place uncooked stuffed tubes in pan, turning each to coat with sauce.
- Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375ºF for 20 minutes.
- Then turn shells over.
- Continue baking, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 4-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Dollop with sour cream and sprinkle with onions and olives.
Took other reviewers idea and sauteed ground beef and onions, mixed some cheese in with the meat and added Taco seasoning mix. It was absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing your recipe! :)
This is just plain DEEELISH!! I too used meat.I make up a lot of "taco" meat so I had this in the freezer. Other than that I pretty much went by the book. I also didn't turn them over. I used my own enchilada sauce also. Hubby is so picky. I went to get the camera and when I got back, he'd already started on it. He said that it was close to being the best Mexican/Italian food he's ever had. I can assure you after 18 years of marriage to him, that it was an awesome statement. I did take a small bite, I'm on a diet, and I, too thought it was soooo good. Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe and I'll be making this on a permanent basis!Thanks for sharing!
Made this last night and it was voted "Great" by both hubby and picky son. I also used ground beef and onions and added the refried beans to that mixture. This amount filled 12 manicotti shells with some of the meat mixture left over. My son put some of this meat mixture in a tortilla and made a burrito before the dish was done baking. He said that was very good. He brought friends over later in the evening and they finished off all of the manicotti! Thanks for this wonderful recipe.