Authentic Mexican recipe from a friend of the family. Posted for ZWT 3- Mexico.
Make and share this Mexican Layered Ground Beef Enchiladas recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 lb colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium low heat. Stir in flour until blended and light brown in color. Slowly pour in broth and whisk to make smooth gravy. Add chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour gravy into a medium size bowl in which to dip tortillas.
- Brown ground beef in large skillet. Drain excess fat. Add one package of taco seasoning and tomato sauce and stir to combine. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to assemble layers.
- Spray bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish with non stick spray. Dip two tortillas into gravy and place into baking dish. Cover with one fourth of ground beef, cheese and onion. Repeat 3 times.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Wow, the roux really is the secret to a great enchilada casserole! Corn tortillas work as well as flour tortillas, and I've even swapped out the red sauce with mole sauce. Tasty!
This is a definite do again! The flavor was fantastic!! In the future, I will have the "gravy" pre made as this step took the longest while browning the meat. Also, I used flour tortillas as I like the flavor much better than corn tortillas. All in all, a winner. Thank you for sharing!!
Easy to make all the parts and very easy to assemble. Everyone liked it and said they would like to have it again. Thanks.