The authentic Mexican version uses cream and a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds. This version uses yogurt, coconut, and walnuts for color and crunch.
- 1 large sweet apple, unpeeled, cut into small cubes
- 1 ripe papaya, peeled and cut into small cubes, seeds discarded
- 1 large ripe banana, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup ripe pineapple, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts or 1 tablespoon pecans
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Chill all fruit before preparing the salad. Cut the fruit and assemble the salad just before serving.
- Layer the fruits in the order listed. Spread the yogurt over the top of the salad. Sprinkle evenly with coconut and nuts. Drizzle with honey.
- Serve right away.