Picadillo is a dish that is eaten in Mexican homes at least once a week. It's easy to prepare and also quite versatile, since you can eat it as is, or for fillings for chiles rellenos, tacos, burritos, tamales, etc.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 6 small tomatoes
- 3 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 4 cloves peeled garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clean poblano chiles or 1 green pimiento
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup tomato juice or 1⁄2 cup chicken consomme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- First, stir fry potatoes in olive oil.
- Take potatoes out from oil, set apart.
- Into the remaining oil in the skillet, add the ground meat, tomatoes, salt, garlic, and pepper and mix well.
- Once the meat is partially cooked, add potatoes and rest of ingredients.
- Simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes.