4 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
Perfect for a cold, wintry evening or lunch! This is a filling, good "comfort" food soup that will make your whole kitchen smell wonderful! Serve with corn bread and a salad. From an issue of Cooking Light- it's become one of our favorites! This freezes well too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 8 cups fat free chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cubed smoked ham steaks
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, diced (freeze remaining chilies and use in chili or whatever)
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1Sort and wash beans; place in large heavy pot.
- 2Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to boil.
- 3Cook 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- 4Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 6Or you may cover the beans with the same amount of water and let stand overnight.
- 7Drain and proceed as follows.
- 8Combine beans, broth, and next 8 ingredients (broth through garlic) in the large heavy pan and bring to a boil.
- 9Partially cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- 10Simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 11Stir in tomatoes, diced chilies,and liquid smoke, if desired.
- 12Simmer 1 hour.
- 13Discard bay leaves and serve.
- 14Ladle soup into bowls and top with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Ham and Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.6
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 6.2 mg
- Sodium 993.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo