Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Perfect for a cold, wintry evening or lunch! This is a filling, good "comfort" food soup that will make your whole kitchen smell wonderful! Serve with corn bread and a salad. From an issue of Cooking Light- it's become one of our favorites! This freezes well too.
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 8 cups fat free chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed smoked ham steaks
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, diced (freeze remaining chilies and use in chili or whatever)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1⁄2 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- Sort and wash beans; place in large heavy pot.
- Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to boil.
- Cook 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Or you may cover the beans with the same amount of water and let stand overnight.
- Drain and proceed as follows.
- Combine beans, broth, and next 8 ingredients (broth through garlic) in the large heavy pan and bring to a boil.
- Partially cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, diced chilies,and liquid smoke, if desired.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaves and serve.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 tablespoon cilantro.