Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Don't leave out the green olives it's what makes this dish, the more olives the better it will be LOL! I have even added in a can of drained black beans to this. Make certain to sprinkle LOTS of cheese on top! This rice dish is DELICIOUS! You will need a very large skillet for this. I use my own taco seasoning mix (#76616) to make this recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (or use my Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (can use more)
- seasoning salt
- black pepper (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup large pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced (or to taste)
- 2 cups uncooked converted white rice (I use Uncle Ben's converted white rice for this)
- 4 cups chicken broth (use about 1/4 cup less for firmer rice)
- 3 -4 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 3 -4 cups cheddar cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a very large oven-proof skillet with tight fitting lid or a Dutch oven with lid over medium heat.
- Add in onions and green peppers with dryed chili pepper flakes; saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in garlic; cook 2 minutes.
- Add in ground beef with taco seasoning mix; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until browned.
- Season beef mixture with seasoning salt and black pepper (or cayenne pepper) then add in Parmesan cheese; mix to combine.
- Add in rice, sliced olives and mushrooms; cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add in broth; bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (large enough to hold the mixture).
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until rice is desired tenderness.
- Uncover and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese cover and return to oven to bake for about 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
I made this last night for my family. My husband and I love green olives so I added 3/4 cups which almost made it a litle too salty so next time I'll cut down on the other salt. When it came time to add the rice, I realized I only had a 3/4 cup of white rice so I used brown rice for the remaining and it still turned out delicious. I left out the mushrooms because I didn't have them. I doubled the ground beef just because that is what I had. I also added a can of corn as mentioned in one of the other reviews. I think a can of black beans might also be a good addition. The taste reminded me of tamale pie. I served it with a green salad and cottage cheese in place of sour cream on top. Very good! Thanks for sharing!
If you are a serious green olive fan, you'll love this recipe. We thought it was too salty, with all the olives in there. I might make it again, but with less olives and no seasoned salt.
I was planning to freeze this for lunches so I made a few changes. I layered cooked white rice in the bottom of the container, then added the meat mixture, and topped with grated cheese. BF took this for lunch today & texted me "*****"! Thanks!