Don't leave out the green olives it's what makes this dish, the more olives the better it will be LOL! I have even added in a can of drained black beans to this. Make certain to sprinkle LOTS of cheese on top! This rice dish is DELICIOUS! You will need a very large skillet for this. I use my own taco seasoning mix (#76616) to make this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4-1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (or use my Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (can use more)
- seasoning salt
- black pepper (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup large pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced (or to taste)
- 2 cups uncooked converted white rice (I use Uncle Ben's converted white rice for this)
- 4 cups chicken broth (use about 1/4 cup less for firmer rice)
- 3 -4 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 3 -4 cups cheddar cheese
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Heat oil in a very large oven-proof skillet with tight fitting lid or a Dutch oven with lid over medium heat.
- 3Add in onions and green peppers with dryed chili pepper flakes; saute for about 3 minutes.
- 4Add in garlic; cook 2 minutes.
- 5Add in ground beef with taco seasoning mix; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until browned.
- 6Season beef mixture with seasoning salt and black pepper (or cayenne pepper) then add in Parmesan cheese; mix to combine.
- 7Add in rice, sliced olives and mushrooms; cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- 8Add in broth; bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 9Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (large enough to hold the mixture).
- 10Cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until rice is desired tenderness.
- 11Uncover and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese cover and return to oven to bake for about 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Ground Beef and Cheese Baked Rice
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 823.1
- Calories from Fat 438
- Total Fat 48.7 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 117.7 mg
- Sodium 1361.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 46.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento-stuffed green olives