Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These soft shelled tacos have the colors of the Mexican flag. With layers of guacamole, sour cream, and chicken in tomato sauce. Can sub. 2 fresh serrano or some crushed red pepper for the pickled jalapeno, although the pickled jalapeno seems to add something special.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, rinsed, seeded, and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups guacamole
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil till tender; stir in tomato sauce, peppers, and salt. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken; heat through. Keep warm.
- In small skillet heat the 2 tablespoons oil. holding tortilla with tongs, dip each tortilla in the hot oil for about 10 seconds or till limp. Drain on paper toweling. Spoon a little green guacamole, white sour cream, and red meat mixture on one half of each tortilla. Fold in half over filling; Sere immediately.
We found this recipe while looking for a recipe for a Spanish class project. It's become one of our favorite dishes. It's so good!
Yum yum yum!! I admit that I did make a few alterations...I used the remnants of a jar of salsa for the tomato sauce,adding a little water to let it down.I cut back back on the jalapeno a little,as the salsa was an extra hot one,and I didn't want to over do it,and I used ready made taco shells. These went down an absolute storm...the chicken was perfectly spiced and the guacamole and sour cream complimented beautifully. I am absolutely making these again...thank you for posting such a quick and wonderfully tasty recipe!! Made for PRMR.