Ohhh this is soooo good. I had this for the first time this past year while tailgating at a ND game!! Thanks to the firefighter (who came with our friend Pat) for this recipe. What a chef!
- 1 (24 ounce) jar pinto beans
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Mexican-style tomatoes (I like Red Gold petite diced tomatoes Mexican Feista)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 sausage links, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 6 serrano chilies, diced
- 1 cup salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 cup chipotle salsa
- 1 bunch cilantro, cleaned and steams cut off, chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beer
- In a large dutch oven, fry bacon and chunk into smaller pieces. Add sausage and heat through.
- Add diced onion and chilis and heat until onions are translucent.
- Add all tomatoes, salsas and beer.
- Heat until boiling. Stirring lightly to mix flavors.
- Add jar of pinto beans WITH liquid.
- Again, heat to boiling.
- Add cilantro.
- Stir to mix and serve with sour cream!
I have friends who are from Cuba who absolutely rave everytime I make this. My hubby is from South Texas and he enjoys this a lot also. I use less of the hot stuff, so I can enjoy it as well, and I do not add all the tomatoes. We like extra bacon added to this, and we use the bacon ends and pieces to make this also. The best sausage is Choritzo :)
This is a good one! Made it as written except cut back on the cilantro and used 4 chilies. Drained before serving. Loved by everyone. I will definitely make it again. Thanks for a winner!
I only had one can of beer so that was all I used. I Also only used 2 cans of tomatoes instead of the 3.