Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from my husband's grandmother. I had enjoyed it for years at her house and failed many attempts to replicate it. Finally, one day I just asked her for the recipe and she gladly shared it with me. She's gone now, I'm so happy I got the recipe from her while I could. Hope you love it as much as we do.
- 3 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 pickled jalapeno peppers, diced, with a little juice
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup oil
- Set oven 425F degrees.
- Put 3 tablespoons each of Crisco into 2 iron skillets.
- Place them into the oven as it is pre-heating.
- Mix all ingredients together and divide batter equally between HOT skillets.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brown.
- Remove from pans to cool.
- Note: I have made this recipe using only 1/2 cup oil and it turns out just fine.
Love it, Love it! The only change I made was adding 1/2 cup of oil instead of 1 cup (was still moist). On my second batch I cut the recipe in half since I was only feeding 2 adults and 2 small children. The cornbread was delicious! Thanks for sharing this with us!
This is one of the best recipes I have found!!! Try it with buttermilk,too, it makes it even more moist!!! Thank you for sharing this!!! Itook this to our church to go with our Chili cook off and everyone loved them
I made this yesterday for our family dinner. We like lots of corn in our cornbread, I doubled the recipe and used 1 can of creamed and 1 can of whole corn with peppers. It was a big hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe.