1/2 Photos of Mexican Corn Soup
This is perfect for a cold day! The cheese and sour cream make this soup delicious and if you want to make it extra special add some avocado! Recipe courtesy Ingrid Hoffmann.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ears fresh corn (thawed) or 3 cups frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional) or 3 tablespoons cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 cup queso fresco or 1/2 cup fresh farmer's cheese or 1/2 cup feta cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips (optional) or fried corn tortilla strips (optional)
- 1If using fresh corn, scrape kernels from cobs using small sharp knife or spoon. Place half of the corn kernels in blender with tomatoes, 2 cups of broth, and oregano. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon, turning once until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Set aside. Add onion to bacon fat in saucepan and cook, stirring frequently until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- 3Add tomato-corn puree to saucepan with remaining 2 cups of broth and cayenne pepper if desired. Bring to a low boil and add remaining whole corn kernels. Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and remove any foam as it develops with a large flat metal spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4If using parsley or cilantro mix that in along with the cream, and heat through.
- 5To serve, garnish with crumbled bacon, remaining parsley or cilantro, crumbled cheese, tortilla chips or strips and avocado.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Corn Soup
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.7
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 56.1 mg
- Sodium 980.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: