Rather like menudo without the tripe. Spicy and warm. Perfect for a winter day. Good for those who find traditional chicken soup too prosaic and bland. If you can't find posole, which is also called hominy, feel free to substitute frozen corn kernels.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces canned green chilies
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans posole, drained (mix yellow and white)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juice of
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Brown chicken and cut into small pieces.
- Add to crockpot.
- Saute onion, celery, and garlic until soft.
- Add to crockpot.
- Add broth, chili powder, and cumin.
- Add the green chiles, tomatoes, and oregano.
- Cook on'low' for 4 hours.
- Add hominy 30 minutes before serving.
- Add cilantro leaves, and lime juice just before serving.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
This is the most amazing soup in the history of my life. I've never had a better or more delicious soup than this one. i just make it on my stovetop, not in the crockpot. I add can of kidney beans and the end I add fresh sweet corn. I use seasoned baked/shredded chicken breast. Garnished with crushed taco chips, avocado and cilantro. This is absolutely THE BEST Mexican chicken soup! I've made this many times now. Thank you so much!
A great soup to add to my collection! I think you could add either a small amount of rice, or some thin noodles to make it a bit more hearty. I did garnish this soup with some crumbled tortilla chips, and this added some texture as well.
Sooooo Good! I made as directed except I used ground turkey ( I try to put it in meals where the hubby and kids won't gripe ). It was so good! I'm pregnant and currently in that quesy stage, so I can't eat heavy food. Very filling and so so yummy! I served it with warm flour tortillas and butter with salsa to dip in. Perfect meal!