1/1 Photo of Mexican Chicken Soup
Rather like menudo without the tripe. Spicy and warm. Perfect for a winter day. Good for those who find traditional chicken soup too prosaic and bland. If you can't find posole, which is also called hominy, feel free to substitute frozen corn kernels.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces canned green chilies
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans posole, drained (mix yellow and white)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juice of
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Brown chicken and cut into small pieces.
- 3Add to crockpot.
- 4Saute onion, celery, and garlic until soft.
- 5Add to crockpot.
- 6Add broth, chili powder, and cumin.
- 7Add the green chiles, tomatoes, and oregano.
- 8Cook on'low' for 4 hours.
- 9Add hominy 30 minutes before serving.
- 10Add cilantro leaves, and lime juice just before serving.
- 11Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- 12Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (552 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.4
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 62.9 mg
- Sodium 279.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: