1 hr 15 mins
I first had this at a pot luck at work. Got the recipe from a friend but decided it needed some tweaking. You may add as much heat as you like or keep it toned down. Add taco toppings too if you like when serving. It does take a little work but in the end it pays off. Note: You won't use all the reserved broth. There is a large amount saved just to make sure you have enough. The chicken soup in this recipe is the creamy color one not the yellow. In place of the chips you can use taco shells broken in halves. Or you can use the Corn tortillas, omit softening them. Using the chips give more corn flavor. Prep time does not include prep time for chickens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole chickens
- 1 (10 ounce) can ro-tel tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cream of chicken soup
- 1 (14 ounce) bag mexican style corn chips
- 4 cups mexican style cheese, grated
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 1Boil chickens and remove to plate to cool.
- 2Reserve at least 4 cups broth.
- 3Skin and debone chicken.
- 4Pour enough chips in the bottom of a sprayed 13 X 9 baking dish to cover but not deep.
- 5Lightly flatten chips.
- 6Pour enough reserve liquid into the baking dish to make chips soft but not soggy wet.
- 7In another bowl flatten more chips and soften again.
- 8In a large bowl mix remaining ingredients together EXCEPT for the remaining chips, cheese, and broth.
- 9Spoon a layer of mixture over the chips.
- 10Cover that layer with cheese.
- 11Cover cheese with softened chips.
- 12Cover chips with chicken mixture.
- 13Cover with cheese.
- 14Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to 1 hour or till hot.
- 15you may add more chips over the top (not softened) and more cheese on top.
- 16I have also put this into 2 prepared 9 X 9 casseroles and froze them.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 842.5
- Calories from Fat 512
- Total Fat 56.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 188.6 mg
- Sodium 1372.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 49.7 g