Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I first had this at a pot luck at work. Got the recipe from a friend but decided it needed some tweaking. You may add as much heat as you like or keep it toned down. Add taco toppings too if you like when serving. It does take a little work but in the end it pays off. Note: You won't use all the reserved broth. There is a large amount saved just to make sure you have enough. The chicken soup in this recipe is the creamy color one not the yellow. In place of the chips you can use taco shells broken in halves. Or you can use the Corn tortillas, omit softening them. Using the chips give more corn flavor. Prep time does not include prep time for chickens.
- 2 whole chickens
- 1 (10 ounce) canro-tel tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cream of chicken soup
- 1 (14 ounce) bagmexican style corn chips
- 4 cups mexican style cheese, grated
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- Boil chickens and remove to plate to cool.
- Reserve at least 4 cups broth.
- Skin and debone chicken.
- Pour enough chips in the bottom of a sprayed 13 X 9 baking dish to cover but not deep.
- Lightly flatten chips.
- Pour enough reserve liquid into the baking dish to make chips soft but not soggy wet.
- In another bowl flatten more chips and soften again.
- In a large bowl mix remaining ingredients together EXCEPT for the remaining chips, cheese, and broth.
- Spoon a layer of mixture over the chips.
- Cover that layer with cheese.
- Cover cheese with softened chips.
- Cover chips with chicken mixture.
- Cover with cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to 1 hour or till hot.
- you may add more chips over the top (not softened) and more cheese on top.
- I have also put this into 2 prepared 9 X 9 casseroles and froze them.