Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This chicken casserole is a lowfat, filling, and spicy treat that the whole family will enjoy. This makes great leftovers.
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast, shredded with fork (or less as desired. Leftover rotissary, breast, or uncooked breast poached with some salsa works gre)
- 3 (12 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning (either prebought combination or mix some chili, cumin, pepper, etc)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (the secret ingredient!)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, cut into strips
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 seeded jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Simmer tomato sauce and spices, including cocoa on low heat for about an hour for best flavor blend.
- Saute peppers and onion in oil over medium high heat until vegetables are soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Layer the following (about 1/2 of each group) in a 9 x9 casserole dish; tortilla, chicken, vegetables, black beans, sauce.
- Repeat layer reserving a little bit of sauce.
- Top with 3rd tortilla.
- Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Cut into 6 servings.
Yum! We loved it! I made as posted except I cut the recipe in half and cooked it in a 1.5 qt casserole dish. This was easy to prepare and was full of Mexican flavors. I topped it with some sour cream, salsa and chopped cilantro. Made for Spring PAC 2010. Thanks for posting. :)