1/2 Photos of Mexican Chicken Lasagna
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This chicken casserole is a lowfat, filling, and spicy treat that the whole family will enjoy. This makes great leftovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast, shredded with fork (or less as desired. Leftover rotissary, breast, or uncooked breast poached with some salsa works gre)
- 3 (12 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning (either prebought combination or mix some chili, cumin, pepper, etc)
- 1/4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (the secret ingredient!)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, cut into strips
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 seeded jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1Simmer tomato sauce and spices, including cocoa on low heat for about an hour for best flavor blend.
- 2Saute peppers and onion in oil over medium high heat until vegetables are soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- 3Layer the following (about 1/2 of each group) in a 9 x9 casserole dish; tortilla, chicken, vegetables, black beans, sauce.
- 4Repeat layer reserving a little bit of sauce.
- 5Top with 3rd tortilla.
- 6Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- 7Cover with foil.
- 8Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- 9Uncover and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- 10Cut into 6 servings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.6
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 75.6 mg
- Sodium 546.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 33.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat tortillas