1/11 Photos of Mexican Ceviche
8 hrs 20 mins
This dish is a regular served on the beaches of Mexico. Serve it as a seafood appetizer or as a side salad dish. You can alter it to suit your own taste. Make it as spicy or as mild as you wish. My friends all love it. I often use shrimp & fish or shrimp & scallops - when I do this I do not marinate the shrimp as the shrimp tend to get tough. I steam the shrimp and add them a few hours before serving as I mix all the ingredients together. In Mexico when they make this they often add sea water (not recommened). If you are using frozen fish, choose a firm-fleshed fish and make sure it is fully thawed with as much moisture as possible removed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb halibut fillets (or use a mixture of fish and shrimp) or 1 lb sea bass fillets (or use a mixture of fish and shrimp) or 1 lb red snapper fillet (or use a mixture of fish and shrimp)
- 5 -6 limes (Enough Juice to cover fish)
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 green pepper, sweet, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley or 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (or more to suit your taste)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- lettuce leaf (to line serving bowls)
- avocado (optional)
- black olives, sliced (for garnish) (optional)
- 1Dice the fish (approximately 1/2-inch dice if using shrimp use cleaned shrimp).
- 2Marinate fish in the lime juice in the fridge overnight (this step cooks the fish).
- 3Stir often.
- 4Pour off most of the lime juice (just leave it moist).
- 5Add remaining ingredients except lettuce, avocado and olive. Do this preferably a few hours before serving & refrigerate.
- 6Toss well and arrange in individual serving bowls that are lined with the lettuce leaves.
- 7If you wish garnish with sliced avocado and sliced black olives.
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Ceviche
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.7
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 68.1 mg
- Sodium 247.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 27.3 g