Wonderfully different salad! Great topped with grilled steak or chicken or as part of a Mexican themed dinner...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Cilantro Pepita Dressing
- 1 (4 ounce) can of chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons roasted pepitas (pumpkin or squash seeds)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated Cotija cheese (see note*)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons water
FOR THE SALAD
- 1Place all dressing ingredients except cilantro, mayo and water in a blender or food processor. blend approx 10 sec., then add cilantro and blend until smooth.
- 2Place mayo & water in a glass jar or bowl and shake or whisk until combined - add the blended ingredients and mix thoroughly. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate, will keep for 3 days.
- 3Cut tortillas into match sized sticks. Heat oil in saute pan over med-high; fry tortillas until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- 4Tear lettuce into bite size pieces, toss in large bowl with half of the crumbled cheese, roasted peppers, pepitas and as much salad dressing as you wish. Top with the remaining cheese, roasted peppers, pepitas and fried tortilla strips.
- 5NOTE***Cojita is a hard cheese, similar to parmesan, found in some grocery stores and most mexican markets. To make assembly easier I often use crumbled tortilla chips. I also buy the jarred roasted red peppers packed in water & already roasted pepitas - I'm too lazy to roast my own! I've also subbed shelled, roasted sunflower seeds for the pepitas - and it was ok (not as good as the pepitas).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Caesar Salad
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.4
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 16.5 mg
- Sodium 397.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers