This low fat version of burritos is one of DD's favourite recipes.When DD was younger I used it as a way to sneak in veggies that she wouldn't otherwise eat. The original recipe was found in Anne Lindsay's Lighthearted Everyday Cooking.
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-fat refried beans
- 1⁄3 cup salsa (mild or hot, your choice)
- 36 inches flour tortillas
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 4 small green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- lettuce, shredded
- salsa or taco sauce
- light sour cream or low-fat yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine beans and salsa, mixing well.
- Spread 1/3 cup mixture over each tortilla, leaving a 1" border.
- Sprinkle tomato, green onions, green pepper, zucchini and half the cheese over the tortillas.
- Roll up tortillas and place, seam side down, on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese melts and tortillas are heated through.
- Serve on bed of shredded lettuce and allow diners to add salsa or taco sauce and sour cream.