Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Better Homes and Gardens Annual Recipes 1997 p. 229.
Make and share this Mexicali Meatloaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow sweet pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped orange sweet bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground venison (or lean beef)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- In large saucepan cook the celery, onion an/or green onions, carrot, peppers, and garlic in hot olive oil or canola oil till vegetables are tender, but not brown. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the eggs, bread crumbs, the 3/4 cup salsa, chili powder, cumin, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. Stir in the cooked vegetable mixture. Add meat. Mix well. Pat meat mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake the meatloaf in a 350°F oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or till no pink remains. Remove meat loaf from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Slice to serve. If desired, top individual servings with salsa.