1/6 Photos of Made 'em Myself Tortillas
Karen Elizabeth's Note:
Tortillas are expensive to buy ready made, here, so I went looking for a recipe. These are wonderfully easy, came out perfectly, and freeze nicely as well, what a pleasure. The recipe sounds a bit cumbersome, but actually it was all very straightforward and quite quickly done. Preparation times includes half an hour 'resting' time for the dough. From 'Cooking Class Cookbook'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine salt and flour in medium bowl. Rub shortening into flour with fingertips until mixture has fine, even texture. Stir in water until dough forms.
- 2Knead dough on floured surface 2 to 3 minutes until smooth and elastic. Wrap in plastic wrap. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- 3Knead dough a few times. Divide evenly into eight pieces for 10-inch(25cm) tortillas or 12 pieces for 8-inch(20cm) tortillas. Shape pieces into balls; cover with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.
- 4Using rolling pin, roll out each dough ball on floured surface, turning over frequently, into 8- or 10-inch circle. Stack each tortilla between sheets of waxed paper.
- 5Heat ungreased heavy griddle or skillet over medium-high heat until a little water, sprinkled on surface, dances. Carefully lay one tortilla on griddle; cook 20 to 30 seconds until top is bubbly and bottom is flecked with brown spots. Turn tortilla over, cook 15 to 20 seconds until flecked with brown spots. if tortilla puffs up while second side is cooking, press it down gently with spatula. Remove tortilla to foil.
- 6Cook remaining tortillas as previously directed. If griddle becomes too hot, reduce heat to prevent burning. Stack cooked tortillas and cover with foil until all are cooked. use immediately or wrap in foil and keep warm in 250F or(120C) oven up to 30 minutes.
- 7Tortillas are best fresh, but can be wrapped in foil and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to two weeks. reheat in 350F(180C) oven 10 minutes before using.
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Made 'em Myself Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.3
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 146.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g