Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Credit for this masterpiece recipe goes to my sister, Judy, the best cook I know. I can't imagine this machaca recipe being beaten by any other, at least any other I've tried which are many.
- In crockpot, cook roast on low heat 8-10 hours.
- Remove from pot and shred beef.
- In skillet, saute diced onion and green bell pepper until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and saute with onion for an additional minute or so.
- Add shredded beef to a very large skillet or dutch oven and heat with onion/garlic mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add green chilis and tomatoes.
- Cook until well heated.
- Break eggs into a bowl and scramble.
- Add to meat mixture and cook until eggs are done and scrambled throughout.
- Add enough El Pato tomato sauce to moisten but not drench.
- When all is heated through, serve in large flour tortillas burrito style adding condiments as you wish.
- NOTE: If you eliminate the eggs, this makes a wonderful chimichanga filling as well.
I've been eating machaca for years at different restaurants in Mexico and in CA. This is very close to what I have eaten previously and very good. It needed a little bit more "spice" though. Also, it's super important to use a true non-stick pan or it will make cleanup really difficult. Thanks for sharing!
Made for ZWT3 - this was really good, but next time, we would cook the roast with the salt, pepper and garlic in with it to season the meat a little more. VERY good though!