We have been on a diet and doing really well, but was craving cornbread. So, I made up this recipe, and it actually turned out really good. Hope you like it!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons Sugar Twin (or other artificial sweetener)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soured skim milk (To make soured milk-put 1 TBSP lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup, then fill rest of the way )
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (or 2 egg whites)
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno, drained and chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F; grease an 8-inch square pan or glass dish.
- Combine corn meal and soured milk in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine other dry ingredients in a larger bowl.
- Add crushed pineapple and egg (or egg whites) to corn meal mixture. Mix until combined.
- Add corn meal mixture to dry ingredients, mix until well combined.
- Add jalapenos and fold into mixture. (If it seems to thick, add a quick splash more milk and mix again).
- Pour into greased pan and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean and the bread is golden brown.
- After cooked, slice into 9 slices and enjoy.