Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
serve with low fat spiced black beans
Make and share this Low-Fat Carnitas recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs pork loin, cut in very large pieces
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons oregano, dried
- 4 chipotle chiles, canned or dry
- 2 bay leaves
- to taste water
- to taste salt
- To a 7- to 8-quart pan, add pork, broth, onion, coriander, cumin, oregano, chilies in sauce, sauce, and bay leaves. Add water to cover the pork.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until meat pulls apart easily with a fork, 2 to 3 hours.
- Strain broth.
- Cover pork with enough broth to keep moist and use remaining broth for Spiced Black Beans.
- To bake carnitas, pull pork large shreds and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Spoon some broth over to keep moist. Broil pork until slightly crisp (watching carefully), turn, moisten if necessary and broil again.
This is a very delicious recipe. It tastes very authentic to my mexican palet. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
Very good! The pork was cooked perfectly and had a nice subtle flavor. We also used the pork as a filling in burritos. Thanks!
My hubby and I are always looking for great recipes for our favorite mexican foods. This one hit the mark!! It was so tasty and so easy to make. I made no changes to the recipe and I don't think there are any that are needed. Loved it!!!