I love meatloaf, and love creating new ones to try. This is one that I created with a Mexican twist in mind... It is just wonderful, and is a WINNER for sure!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup instant minced onion or 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to your liking (optional)
- 8 ounces sargento's shredded four-cheese Mexican blend cheese, I use reduced fat
- Mix the hamburger, minced onions, bread crumbs, beaten egg, and Italian Seasoning together well with your hands.
- Add in the ketchup, 1/2 the can of tomato sauce, and 1/2 the can of Ro-tel tomatoes. Mix well.
- Put 1/2 the mixture into an oven-proof baking pan (I used a teflon pan), making a square or a circle, whichever you prefer.
- Cover the top of the meat mixture with a generous amount of cheese, not coming quite to the edge.
- Top the cheese with the rest of the hamburger mix, and pat down to make a loaf. Press the sides together a little so the cheese won't drip out when cooking.
- Mix the tomato sauce and Ro-tel tomatoes together and spread on top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in a 350 oven, for about 30 minutes before taking it out, to drain off the juices in the pan. (I set the juices aside to put in my Mexican Rice, as part of the water to make the rice).
- Put back in oven for 30 more minutes then take out, and cover to top of the meatloaf with the rest of the cheese.
- Put back in the oven, and watch carefully for the cheese to melt on top.
- Remove, cut, and serve.
This was SO yummy. I tweeked the recipe though to make it more Mexican. I used plain breadcrumbs, taco seasoning (instead of italian), and a cheddar cheese blend. My daughter little Miss Picky even liked it! I am so thankful i found it
This looks amazing, I've done meatloaf with Ro-Tel before and it turned out awesome, the only thing I did differently was adding mexican chili powder and cumin. It was really good too. Thanks for sharing this deliciousness
Excellent meatloaf! I doubled it so we could have leftovers and it worked perfectly.