My Fiance has decided that he isn't overly fond of lentils. When I prepare them this way he doesn't seem to complain as much. The burrito get this lovely crunchy bottom to them that is almost like pastry. It is my favourite part. These are very filling! One is often enough. Although I may make mine a bit bigger than the average person.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils (green or brown)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice or 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (I use Hot 'n Spicy)
- 5 -8 large tortillas
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese (use whatever you have on hand) or 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, sliced thinly (use whatever you have on hand)
- cheddar cheese, grated, optional topping
- sour cream, for serving
- 1Put the water in a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- 2Stir in the lentils and cover. Lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 3Dump the lentils (and any remaining water) into a large bowl. Add the cooked rice, tomato paste, taco seasoning mix. Stir well.
- 4Lightly grease a large casserole dish. (I use a 9" x 13" cake pan.).
- 5Preheat your oven to 350°.
- 6On the counter (or other work space) lay out a tortilla. Put a line of the filling just below the horizontal center. I probably add about 1/2 a cup of filling to each burrito.
- 7Make sure that there is about an inch or so at either end of the line that doesn't have filling on it.
- 8Place a couple of slices of cheese on top of the line of filling.
- 9I have also placed some sliced and pan fried chicken breast on top at this point as well. Makes my Fiance happy when he can see meat in a meal.
- 10Fold up the bottom of the tortilla to cover the filling (or partially cover). Then fold over both sides. Then continue rolling to the top.
- 11The burrito should be about 1 1/2" wide and about 4" long.
- 12Place seam side down in the prepared pan.
- 13Continue with the rest of the wraps.
- 14At this point, you can either put them in the oven as is, or you can top them with some grated cheese. I think about 1/2 a cup of grated cheese would be more than sufficient. I don't usually top mine with the cheese.
- 15Place in the oven. Cook for about 20-30 minutes. It depends on whether or not you used cheese.
- 16The tops don't usually get too brown for me. They just get a lovely crustiness to them. You could rub some butter on top before cooking if you wanted them to brown a bit more.
- 17Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
- 18First time I made this, I only made 5 and I had about a cup of leftover filling. We ate the leftover filling as Sloppy Joe's on a nice crusty roll. I enjoyed it heated up on it's own.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Burritos
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.4
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 29.7 mg
- Sodium 1011.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.1 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 25.5 g