What to do with all the leftover Holiday Turkey Meat - This was a big hit, and a treat to have something spicy after holiday eating holiday leftovers for a few days.
- 3 cups leftover cooked dark turkey meat, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced (to taste)
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, fresh minced (to taste)
- 3 cups enchilada sauce, divided (recipezaar Texas Red Enchilada Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, chopped fine (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (any type will work)
- 8 -10 small flour tortillas, warmed (smaller size 6-8-inch)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained and diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (more if desired)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a skillet to medium, add some oil and saute the onions for a few minutes then add the peppers and garlic and saute until the onion become translucent.
- Add Tomatoes, seasonings, Stir to combine.
- Add Turkey and 1 cup of enchilada sauce - stir - simmer until some of the liquid has evaporated (not too juicy any more).
- Add cream cheese and stir until well incorporated. Simmer for a few minutes longer.
- In a 9X13" pan add 1 cup of enchilada sauce and coat bottom of pan.
- Add about 1/4-1/3 cup of meat mixture to each tortillia - roll tortilla and place seem side down in a baking dish (just roll, don't fold ends).
- Pour remaining Enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake i for about 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and side are bubbling slightly.
- Variations - Add a can of black beans (rinsed and drained) to the meat mixture after incorporating the cream cheese.
- Toppings (suggestions) - Salsa, lettuce, Chopped Olives, Chopped Onion, Chopped tomatoes, chopped jalapeno's.
This was a hit! The only thing that I did different was used half cream cheese and half sour cream. I also added a bit of coriander and cheese to the sauce and about half the amount of cumin, you don't want too much of that!! Amazing great flavor!!
You can't go wrong with this recipe. Very flavorful! I used left over chicken instead of turkey.
I've made Texas Red Enchilada Sauce many times in the past and it is a winner.
Thanks for sharing your delicious recipes.
Made this several times now and the whole family really enjoys it!