This is my basic recipe for a Mexican ground beef mixture. This way everyone can make what they want: DH makes burritos, I make tacos or chimichangas, and DD makes what I call a fiesta bowl! I usually double the recipe so we can use the leftovers for a Nacho Night! If I'm low on time or spices, I'll just throw in a taco packet, no biggie! Please use your judgement on the seasonings: we like it spicy, so I actually use a lot more than written...if you prefer mild, go a little light initially and increase as necessary.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 -2 serrano peppers or 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup beer (I prefer Pacifico)
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic to skillet. Saute 3-5 minutes with beef.
- Add seasonings or a taco packet to meat and veggies. Pour beer into skillet and stir well to combine (add more beer if mixture needs moistening).
- ***Serve with warmed flour tortillas, taco shells, spanish rice, and beans.
- ***Garnish with shredded cheese, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream and guacamole!
- ***To make a burrito: Place meat and desired fillings in middle of warmed tortilla, fold the sides in and roll up to make a yummy little package.
- ***To make a chimi: Roll like you're rolling a burrito, place on baking sheet folded side down, brush tortilla with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or butter, and bake 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until browned and crispy!