I threw these together tonight when getting in the mood for ZWT5. When I think 'Texas' I often think of good BBQ and beef. When I think of Mexico I tend to think of a bit of heat and fresh tomatoes and avocado. So, I threw them together to make one yummy burger. So, it may not be real tex mex but it comes out of the ideas of Texas and Mexico that float around in my,admittedly odd, brain.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 4 slices red onions
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
For avocado mixture
- 1 small avocado
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Put beef, onion flakes, cayenne pepper barbecue sauce, sea salt, egg and bread crumbs into bowl.
- Mix together with your hands until everything is well combined.
- Divide into four and shape into burgers.
- Cook in a frying pan with a little bit of oil for 5 minutes on each side or put onto a Foreman like grill for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- While the burgers are cooking, pit your avocado and scrape the insides into a bowl.
- Add the lime juice and pinch of sea salt and mash with a fork until nearly smooth.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a good dollop of the avocado mixture onto the bottom part of each bun.
- Place the burger on top of that and then give each burger a slice of tomato and red onion.
- Put the other half of the bun on top and serve.
I can hardly wait for lunch when I can have leftovers from last nights BBQ - these were a huge hit! I loved the avocado mixture and made the burgers just as directed with tomatoes and red onions. I'll be making these burgers again! Made for ZWT5.
Love this burger, which we made for ZWT. I added about 1 t of lime juice to the avocado along with some garlic salt and a couple of splashes of Tabasco to make it more of a guacamole otherwise as listed.
As made these were awesome. I did make a couple of changes. For the meat did not do the egg/breadcrumb thing but did everything else. I also added the tomatoes and onion to the avacado along with cilantro. And as I do on all burgers, added a slice of cheese. Loved the combination of barbeque sauce and guacamole. For ZWT.