1/2 Photos of Hot Tamale Casserole
1 hr 30 mins
If you like Mexican food you'll love this recipe! It's a little extra work but well worth it. Make it as hot or as mild as you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces thawed frozen whole kernel corn
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons lite olive oil
- 1 cup sliced green olives
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet.
- 2Add onion and green pepper; saute until tender.
- 3Add beef and cook until crumbly.
- 4Add tomatoes (if the tomatoes are very juicy take off some juice, keep it you can add it if needed), tomato paste, corn, olives, cumin, salt, all spice, chili powder, pepper sauce and cornmeal.
- 5Simmer stirring frequently for 30 minutes.
- 6Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 7Spoon mixture into a 2 1/2 qt casserole.
- 8MAKE TAMALE TOPPING----------------.
- 9In a large bowl mix, flour cornmeal, sugar and baking powder.
- 10Add melted butter, milk, and egg.
- 11Stir only until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- 12Quickly stir in the jalapeno pepper and cheese.
- 13BACK TO THE CASSEROLE-----------.
- 14Spoon the topping in large spoonfuls around the edge of the casserole.
- 15Bake in 450°F uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until cornmeal topping is cooked through and lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Tamale Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.9
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 90.0 mg
- Sodium 1015.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 23.1 g