Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Just good cornbread.
Make and share this Hot Mexican Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup cornmeal (yellow or blue)
- 1 cup milk, sweet
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Mix all of the ingredients together, except the oil, and reserve half of the cheese for toping.
- Put the oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat until hot.
- Pour over cornmeal mixture in bowl.
- Stir fast to melt cheese.
- Pour mixture into hot skillet and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
excellent, cooked in cast iron skillet and served with Nanny's tomato soup #11121. very moist. Didn't have green onions so I used the regular white onion, but the green would have made it better looking.
Holy wow! I have hot pay dirt with this recipe. I subbed masa harina for the regular cornmeal and didn't add the cheddar or green onions, which were not missed at all. Such an incredible recipe!! It almost tastes like a creamy tamale!!
this cornbread was very moist & had a great flavor. make sure the vegetables are chopped very thin & don't leave out the sweet milk...delicious. i did have to let it cook an extra 5-8 min. bc it was not quite done at 40 min. topped off with chili...perfect!