Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Canned wild salmon, whole wheat tortillas and nutrient-rich kale make this salmon quesadilla recipe an easy and nutritious heart healthy dinner. These quesadillas are a perfect go-to recipe when you don't have a lot of time to cook. Most of the ingredients are items you probably already have on hand: canned salmon, shredded cheese, and tortillas. Whole wheat tortillas are best for this quesadilla recipe, since they add quite a bit of fiber. But if you can't find whole wheat tortillas, feel free to substitute regular flour tortillas, low-carb tortillas or even spinach tortillas. If you don't have kale, feel free to substitute spinach. But if you can get it, it's worth it to use the kale, because it is just packed with nutrients.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup kale, stems removed, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup colby cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 32 inches whole wheat tortillas
- 6 ounces canned pink salmon, flaked
- Heat 1 teaspoons of the olive oil in a medium (10-inch) nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place the kale in the skillet and cook until just wilted, about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with the kosher salt or sea salt. Remove the kale from the skillet and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the shredded cheeses. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Place one tortilla in the bottom of the skillet.
- Top half of the tortilla with 1/4 cup of the kale, one-quarter of the flaked salmon and 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese mixture.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling and cook for one minute, pressing down lightly with the back of a spatula.
- Using tongs, gently flip the quesadilla over and cook another minute or two, until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining three tortillas and fillings.
- Cut each quesadilla into three triangles. Serve immediately with guacamole, tomato salsa and non-fat sour cream, if desired.
Used spinach instead of kale and added garlic. Very good and healthy!
I love quesadillas and this one didn't disappoint! I used a cheddar/Monterey jack blend and a flour tortilla. I have only had kale chips, but in this quesadilla it was a nice addition. Will be making this again! Made for Fall 2012 PAC.
I added sauted onion and garlic to the Kale. YUM