This is my own creation. I was determined to come up with a healthier version of a taco inspired, cheesy pasta casserole. I started with whole wheat pasta, ground turkey, lots of chopped veggies, and I subbed lower fat cheese. This is very good, if I do say so myself!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (93/7)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced and coarsley chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced and coarsley chopped
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) box whole wheat ziti
- 1 cup low-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1In a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground turkey in the olive oil until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Make sure you break up the meat with the back of a wooden spoon to make the meat universal in size.
- 2Add the onion, zuchinni, yellow squash and cook, stirring occasionaly, until vegetables become soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3Add the black beans and chilli beans, the taco seasoning. and mushrooms. Lower the heat to medium, and cook about 10 more minutes, until mushrooms are soft. If the mixture seems to thick, you might want to add a little water.
- 4Meanwhile, cook a large pot of salted water till water comes to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook until al dente, about 7-10 minutes.
- 5Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl. Add the sauce, and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the cheese and stir in till cheese is melted .
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Lower Fat Mexican Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.0
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 71.9 mg
- Sodium 368.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.2 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 44.1 g