Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Born in So. CA with avocado trees in our back yard, learning to make GREAT guacamole is not optional. Although purists may gasp at the inclusion of mayo & sour cream, it KILLS me to see TV chefs use lemon instead of lime. DO try this fabulous guac (pronounced like "WALK") recipe using big, ripe Haas, and watch it literally DISSAPEAR!
- 4 -6 Hass avocadoes, very large and ripe, peeled, coarsely chopped (count depends on size)
- 3⁄4 cup sweet onion, diced (use Walla-Walla, Vidalia, or red)
- 2⁄3 bunch cilantro leaf, chopped (apx. 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods aka Hellmans)
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (*not* a lemon, Yuck! Use juice of about 1/2 of a medium lime, go easy)
- 3 -4 dashes hot sauce (I use a Chipotle-based smoky one)
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped (seeds and juice removed first)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- Grind spices together with mortar & pestle. Add to rest of ingredients, partially mashing the avocado – leaving at least ½ in good-sized chunks. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill overnight. Taste for seasonings, then sprinkle with a bit more paprika, some more fresh cilantro leaves and diced red onion on top, and serve with tortilla chips.
Awesome guac! Omitted the cilantro due to some cilantro detesters in our group, and left out the red chili flakes. Used lemon juice and it worked just fine to our taste. Rich depth of flavor. One correction: Don't think this would serve 18 guacamole lovers!
This is a good avocado dip. Nice flavor, apart from the mayo. I tasted this beore I added the mayo, and I was sorry I did, because it was better without it. It overpowers. Next time...
This is very good even though I omitted the cumin (don't much like it). I didn't have any cilantro either so also left that out. I used minced garlic rather than the granules. Thanks for sharing.