1/1 Photo of Green Jalapeno and Tomatillo Chicken Enchiladas
Chef Sarita in Austin Texas's Note:
This recipe has a couple of short cuts to make the prep time easier than the traditional green enchiladas but it does not sacrafice taste. I preffer to use the Crema salvadorena or Crema Hondurena as the cream that will top the enchiladas but these are not always available at your local supermarket as Crema Mexicana is. They are usually found in Mexican specialty supermarkets. The stove can be completly OMITTED in this recipe and you can use the microwave also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 roasted store brought chicken (shredded)
- 28 ounces canned cooked tomatillos (preffer La Costena)
- 4 ounces canned chopped jalapenos
- 1 whole fresh jalapeno (cut in half and seeded)
- 10 tortillas
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema (or Crema salvadorena or hondurena)
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco (mexican)
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1Heat the cooking oil in a small frying pan. Slide the torillas thru with a spatula (one by one) quickly for about 2-3 secs on each side. What you are trying to accomplish with this is for the tortillas to become soft and pliable. Be careful not to harden them by leaving them too long in the oil. Place on a paper towel to drain.
- 2Open the can of tomatillos and drain. In a blender add the tomatillos and cleaned jalapeno. Blend for about 3 minute or until everything is thoroughly mixed. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 3In a medium pot, add the tomatillo mix and stir under medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add salt to taste. Turn stove off. Stir in ONLY 1/4 cup of the crema. Reserve 1/2 of this sauce and set aside.
- 4Open and drain can of jalapenos and mix with the shredded chicken. At this point, add the reserved tomatillo mixture to chicken and combine by mixing together.
- 5In a baking sheet, start making enchiladas by adding 2 table spoons of chicken mixture to middle of tortilla and roll. Do this with all the tortillas.Place all the enchiladas side by side in the baking pan.
- 6Pour the remaining tomatillo mixture on top of the enchiladas. Place enchiladas in oven and heat thru for about 5-7 minute.
- 7In a small ziploc bag, place the remaining CREMA. Make a medium-small opening at one corner, in order to squeeze cream thru corner.
- 8Once enchiladas are heated thru, Drizzle crema on top of enchildas in wide and long zig zag motion. Add crumbled queso fresco on top of enchiladas and serve with rice and refried beans.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Jalapeno and Tomatillo Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1645.3
- Calories from Fat 768
- Total Fat 85.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 230.0 mg
- Sodium 1701.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 137.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 79.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: