Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An incredibly tasty, inexpensive, quick dish to make. My Honduran mother-in-law makes this when we visit. I can't get enough of it. You can add or subtract ingredients (more bacon, less onion) according to your taste. And, it freezes well. We like to eat it with rice and tortillas.
- Heat pinto beans and water in saucepan over medium heat.
- Chop and cook bacon in large skillet until crispy.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, and Rotel tomatoes. Heat through.
- Add pinto beans and water. Heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice and tortillas.
This absolutely a great recipe. Thank goodness it doesn't have Mexican in its name here or Americans would have to pour cumin into it. You can also cook dry pintos first. Its how my Mexican wife makes it.