Prep1 hr 30 mins
This is a great recipe for chicken enchiladas. I got this recipe several years ago when I worked with a local celebrity chef, and this is his recipe. I have however, made some necessary changes to make it not so high in fat. And 1 enchilada will fill you up!
- 3 -4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (8 ounce) canof chopped green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole green chilies, sliced in thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 tomatoes, skinned and chopped (I don't remove the skin when I don't have the time)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 12 large flour tortillas
- 3⁄4 lb monterey jack cheese, cut into 1/4 inch strips lengthwise into strips
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (can use lower fat version)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 -2 cup longhorn cheese or cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large heavy fry pan or skillet, melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and the garlic.
- Saute about 4 minutes, then add the chopped chilies, tomatoes, bell pepper, cilantro, broth and cumin.
- Let this mixture simmer over a medium low heat about an hour, stirring occasionally, uncovered (add more chicken broth if mixture gets too thick and dry).
- Remove from the heat and dip (to soften) each tortilla in the sauce, lay flat then place strips of chicken, 1-2 pieces of Jack cheese and 1-2 strips of green chilies at one end of the tortilla.
- Roll the filled tortilla and place in a lightly greased large baking dish or pan, seam-side down.
- Fill the pan with the rolled tortillas.
- Pour the sauce over all.
- Combine the soup and cream and pour over all then cover with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes.