1/1 Photo of Fred's Green Chile & Chicken Enchiladas
1 hr 30 mins
This is a great recipe for chicken enchiladas. I got this recipe several years ago when I worked with a local celebrity chef, and this is his recipe. I have however, made some necessary changes to make it not so high in fat. And 1 enchilada will fill you up!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (8 ounce) can of chopped green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole green chilies, sliced in thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 tomatoes, skinned and chopped (I don't remove the skin when I don't have the time)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 12 large flour tortillas
- 3/4 lb monterey jack cheese, cut into 1/4 inch strips lengthwise into strips
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (can use lower fat version)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 -2 cup longhorn cheese or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1In a large heavy fry pan or skillet, melt the butter over a medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and the garlic.
- 3Saute about 4 minutes, then add the chopped chilies, tomatoes, bell pepper, cilantro, broth and cumin.
- 4Let this mixture simmer over a medium low heat about an hour, stirring occasionally, uncovered (add more chicken broth if mixture gets too thick and dry).
- 5Remove from the heat and dip (to soften) each tortilla in the sauce, lay flat then place strips of chicken, 1-2 pieces of Jack cheese and 1-2 strips of green chilies at one end of the tortilla.
- 6Roll the filled tortilla and place in a lightly greased large baking dish or pan, seam-side down.
- 7Fill the pan with the rolled tortillas.
- 8Pour the sauce over all.
- 9Combine the soup and cream and pour over all then cover with the shredded cheese.
- 10Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fred's Green Chile & Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (571 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1299.4
- Calories from Fat 528
- Total Fat 58.6 g
- Saturated Fat 28.2 g
- Cholesterol 163.6 mg
- Sodium 2122.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 132.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 59.9 g