Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I LOVE Rubios Fish Tacos. I have tried so many recipes for fish tacos but none have come close. I finally was able to combine a few to get to this favorite of mine. While, they still aren't as good as Rubios....they are my second favorite.
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- 3 lbs halibut (you can use another firm white fish, but I prefer halibut)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper (fresh ground)
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- 12 white corn tortillas
- 4 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 chipotle peppers, canned in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (fresh squeezed)
- 12 lime wedges (for garnish)
- peanut oil, for frying fish
- To make the sauce:.
- Put mayonnaise, sour cream, peppers, and lime juice in a blender and process to a puree. Add salt & pepper to taste. Place in a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour. After chilled test for seasoning. Add salt & pepper if needed.
- To make the fish:.
- Heat a heavy pan about 1/4 full of peanut oil to approximately 375 degrees. Place Panko crumbs, salt, pepper, and chipotle powder in a shallow bowl. Wisk eggs into another shallow bowl with some salt & pepper. Slice fish into taco size pieces, about 1 inch wide by 3-4 inches long. Dip fish into the egg wash and coat with panko crumbs. Make sure that the fish is well coated but not over coated (shake well). Let rest for a 2-3 minutes before cooking.
- Cook the fish in the hot oil in small batches. This will keep the temperature high so you can cook the fish fast. Cook the fish for about 4-5 minutes until golden browned and crispy. Once cooked, place on paper towels and pat dry to drain any residual oil.
- Steam corn tortillas according to package instructions. You can also heat them on the stove.
- Serve tacos by placing some sauce in the bottom of a tortilla, add fish, and the cabbage. Garnish with a fresh lime wedge. I also like to add some fresh fruit salsa, like my Pineapple salsa with this recipe.
This is how I make the sauce for my fish tacos too. You have to use this sauce. LOVE it! Thanks for this recipe!! YUM!
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!! nothing else could say it better.