Sooz Cooks's Note:
This is a my take on a special dish that our favorite Mexican restaurant in our town - 3 Margaritas - makes for my husband and me. It is not on the menu, but since we love fish they made this for us once and now we get it often, as do our friends. We expect this to be on the menu someday soon. It is tender Tilapia sautéed with garlic butter, topped with mushrooms and smothered in a special Poblano Cream sauce and it is YUMMY! You could replace the tilapia with anything - another kind of fish, chicken, whatever... and it would still be great! Serve with rice and beans on the side and fresh flour tortillas for dipping!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- salt and pepper
- 4 (5 -6 ounce) tilapia fillets
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 lb grated monterey jack cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1Preheat Broiler.
- 2Poblano Sauce: Prepare Poblano chilies by roasting under broiler until they are fully blistered.
- 3Remove chilies from broiler and turn off oven.
- 4Put chilies in a brown paper bag to steam for 10 minutes. Allow to cool, then peel and remove seeds and stems. Cut peppers and put into medium sized bowl.
- 5In a saucepan combine oil, Poblano peppers, onions, cilantro leaves, garlic and seasoning. sauté over high heat, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in stock, bring to a boil, and boil vigorously, 18 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir in heavy cream, and simmer 2 minutes. Transfer sauce to blender or food processor and puree until smooth. For a smoother sauce, you can strain sauce as well.
- 6Tilapia: Melt in a butter large heavy skillet. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Season tilapia filets with salt and pepper and add to pan. Cook over moderately high heat until browned, 3 minutes per side.
- 7Remove tilapia filets from the pan leaving the garlic butter and arrange tilapia in a baking dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Add mushrooms to skillet. Cover and sauté for about 15 minutes.
- 8When mushrooms are close to done, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 9Pour mushrooms over tilapia. Pour sauce over tilapia and mushrooms. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- 10Bake for about 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and tilapia is cooked through.
- 11Serve with rice and refried beans on the side and flour tortillas for dipping.
Browse Our Top Tilapia Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filete De Culichi (Tilapia W Mushrooms in Poblano Cream Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (540 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 616.3
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 165.3 mg
- Sodium 1018.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 52.1 g