1/3 Photos of Fajita Chicken and Rice Bake With Nacho Topping
I was trying to find a healthy, flavourful meal and this hit the spot. The topping is not quite so healthy but the crushed nachos give the meal a well-balanced flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil (or cooking spray for a healthier option)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet fajita seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup corn
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups mild salsa
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 2 ounces nacho chips (should produce 1/2 cup crumbs)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- 2Start boiling the rice in 2 cups of water, covered. This should take 15-20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the diced chicken and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 4Stir in the 1/2 cup water and fajita seasoning.
- 5Add the diced onion, green bell pepper, corn and garlic.
- 6Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chicken and vegetables are cooked and the liquid has mostly reduced.
- 7Add the salsa to the chicken mixture in the pan and stir.
- 8When the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid, add the rice to the chicken salsa mixture and stir. Pour into a 10x6 or equivalent baking tray.
- 9Top with 1 cup of the cheese.
- 10Crush the nachos into crumbs and scatter evenly over the cheese.
- 11Top with the remaining cheese.
- 12Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until bubbling.
- 13Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fajita Chicken and Rice Bake With Nacho Topping
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.1
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 74.2 mg
- Sodium 1380.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 31.2 g