1/1 Photo of El Torito Chicken-Lime Soup
lynnski / LA's Note:
This recipe is an old time favorite at El Torito; and a delicious soup that we have really enjoyed. The restaurant, when submitting this recipe to the LA Times for their reader request column, also suggested that this can be made into a whole meal soup by adding hominy, corn or other grains. They also serve this at their weekend brunch.
My Private Note
quart s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, Mexican
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile, pureed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup tomato, julienne-cut
- 1/2 cup red onion, julienne-cut
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 4 ounces jalapeno jack cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 4 lime slices
- 4 fresh cilantro stems
- 1Combine stock, lime juice, oregano, basil, pureed chipotle and bay leaf in a stockpot; and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- 2Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Add shredded chicken, tomatoes, red onion and cilantro; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 5Ladle very hot soup into warm soup bowls, drop in cheese cubes.
- 6Garnish each serving with a few tortilla strips, avocado slices and a cilantro sprig.
- 7Makes about one quart or 4 one cup servings.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for El Torito Chicken-Lime Soup
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.1
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 55.6 mg
- Sodium 531.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 23.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: