Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got the idea from an old magazine (1999 TOH) Then put my spin on it!
Make and share this Easy Giant Empanada recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 4 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Saute ground sirloin, chopped onion, chopped jalapenos (with or without seeds), 2 chopped tomato and rice until meat is no longer pink.
- Add spices and 1/2 cup Jack cheese to meat mixture off the heat.
- Roll out 1 pie crust on to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Pile meat mixture in the middle of crust, leaving 1 1/2 inches around crust edge clear of food.
- Roll out second crust and place on top of meat mixture.
- Seal edges with fork.
- Poke several holes in top of crust and bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees approx 40 minutes until browned.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Slice into 6 pieces and serve with chopped green onions, chopped lettuce, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, sliced avocado and chopped cilantro.